15.4.06

Carman's Eyes

Carman told me later that he usually wins at staring contests. He can go for minutes on end without blinking. He and a cohort from school finally called it a draw one time after an eight-minute long competition.

This morning I broke him in about 60 seconds flat. Out of the blue he engaged me in a staring contest; something I haven't done in several years, I would guess. He flared his nostrils at me to try and get me to laugh; I flared mine back at him. It's a gift we share, this nostril-flaring talent we possess. Then while looking in his eyes I thought, There's no way I'm going to be able to be stupid and make him laugh. Then I just started looking deeply into his eyes, and I had this thought of how seldom I get to peer so intently straight into his eyes, down, down into his soul. What incredibly beautiful eyes he has, I thought. Instantly I was filled so profoundly with love for this man-child of mine, and as I stood there cherishing him, my heart must have spilled out through my eyes. Carman suddenly giggled and blushed. Blushed! Did it make you laugh because you saw how much I love you? I asked him. Yes.

Love wins! Love wins! Love wins! In staring contests and life.

1 comment: