27.9.05

Shards in God's Mosaic



Last Friday for church I drew a large picture on a 6'wide by 4'tall board. It was a Celtic cross filled and surrounded with outlines of mosaic pieces for people to color in during our gathering. It was based on our spiritual talk from Judges that Lee summed up in his sermon outline thusly (thusly??):

"SYMPTOM #3 - we limit ministry to a few elite and trained professionals. God will use whomever He chooses. It was true then and now. We have to look in the mirror, "If I am a follower of Christ, I am His minister. I have gifts, I have a calling, and God can use me. We will see in the lives of 5 of the judges how unlikely they were to be used by God. CURE: we must invite all of God's people to minister according to their gifts and calling. The church will never become all that God wants it to be until every follower of Jesus is ministering according to their spiritual gifts. Some people are still sitting on the sidelines, refusing to serve. Their excuses could have been used by the judges themselves! God will use whom God will choose."

The words in the graphic above painted themselves in my head while I was contemplating what drawing to do to help represent how we are all called by God to be ministers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I was just talking to a girl the other day who said that art could not be done corporately as worship because not everyone was an artist!!! Ha on that!! I LOVE this! How awesome. It does help people tune into artistic worship if they aren't sure how to "do it." Man, I love that you are using your gift to help others worship in another way other than music. This same girl was telling me that the only way she thought we could corporately worship was through music, i.e., singing together because EVERYONE can sing. I could not believe she said that. She obviously hasn't heard me sing! I'll have to tell her what you're doing! And now I'm off to listen to Lee's teaching! :)

Anonymous said...

Dang... sorry, Anne. That was me, Darla, above!! I don't post on blogs regularly, so I'm clueless on what to do! :) Oh, well.

Anne said...

Oh, hi Darla! If you're blogless, that's probably why you show up as anonymous. Thanks for letting me know it was you. :) As far as what that girl said about people not doing art as worship - I had told Lee once that I thought more people would draw as part of worship if someone started it for them. So that's how I ended up doing what was really a giant coloring page. Although we had a lot of leftover mosaic tiles, I saw more people join in on that experiential art piece then I've seen in the past when people had markers and paper to express themselves. I hope I get to do it again sometime. Corporate art this way could be more like corporate singing - if there's a framework and others joining in, it's not so intimidating. (I never have to worry about being asked to solo myself.) Thanks for popping in...I've told Lee about you listening to his spiritual talks, btw!

A. Monk said...

What amazing timing! I just worshipped at my brother-in-law's church in Columbus, Ohio this past weekend. All of the icons in this beautiful temple are mosaics. I took some photos and put them on my flickr.com account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaroneous_monk/).

gerbmom said...

Anne, I tagged you on my blog. (Thank Christine...she tagged me first....)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blessing. Thanks, Anne!