5.12.05

Family Feud

My twin circles around me and approaches my daughter about the following holiday plans:

"Dear Kelly,
Thanks for the update. I'm trying hard to resolve a lot of different
schedules right now for Christmas Eve, but sincerely hope you and Gordon and Dave can make it. Your mom insists on going to church that night, which is presenting some big problems for the dinner. Linnell doesn't know if the dinner can be served that early, (6:00 pm), and today I found out that Grandpa and Marthe' can't make it for dinner, if it is that early. So, we'll likely have dinner at around 7-7:30 pm, so that they can be there, along with Linnell's parents.

If you are able to make it to Kalamazoo for Christmas, maybe we can both talk to your mom about the need to be somewhat flexible regarding the church service? Christmas is about Christ, but we can celebrate as a family so infrequently that it sure seems to me that on those occasions we could all be flexible to insure we'll be together."


Oh, Bill.

I love our family, I truly do. I wish that my desire to go to church wasn't mucking up all your Christmas Eve plans. I wish that you had talked to me directly instead of trying to circle around behind me and approaching me through my daughter. I must seem like some religious nut to you all, with my passion to be in church on Christmas Eve. Believe me, I want so much to be all together for awhile on Christmas Eve, and don't mind at all if we must leave before dinner, but you already told me how unacceptable you find that compromise.

What you haven't realized is that Kelly wants to be in church that evening as well, and Carman says he wants to be there more than anywhere else. You know I spent a lot of years out of church, but in those years I lived a more watered-down faith, and not that one that is so soaked in Christ as it is now, as it has been in great part because of the church I am a part of.

Yes, I could celebrate the birth of Christ with my own children later on that evening and not cause such divisiveness in our family, but the thought of it makes my heart feel so heavy. This place I go to has become so much more than a building I enter into on Sunday mornings. It has become a sacred place where I encounter God through teaching, worship and the people there. It is my family, just as all of you are my family. I am related by blood to this family, too. It's hard to explain how extraordinary it feels to me to be a part of a family that loves and desires God so passionately, a family that shows me Christ so often through their love, their generosity, their service to others.

If, God willing, all my children are with me this Christmas Eve, I want no other gift than to have them all with me at church that night, having the rare privilege of introducing my children to my other family, and most importantly, celebrating the birthday of the One who has become my passion, my heart, my all, my life.

I wish more than anything you could be where I am. Then you would understand.

6 comments:

mdwinn said...

Hey sister Anne, I read your story. Reminds me of one of those difficult words from the Rabbi from Nazareth. "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." I don't pretend to even comprehend the full scope of this illustration. Maybe it hints at the truth of which you are struggling with. How can we love our family and yet choose Christ first? How do we live Christ to our family? Either way their seems to be a possiblity that someone may get hurt. May you face with humility and grace the pain and awkwardness in order that ALL would know His love deeper than before the wound, may healing come to your household.

Anne said...

Michael, my brother, your words are like a balm. Thank you. I know what I was doing wrong - I wasn't speaking in love as I contemplated all of this. My daughter suggested to my brother that we all pray about it. He called me this morning and acquiesced to us visiting and leaving early to go to church. I am glad this Buddhist brother of mine found his path of peace, and that I learned important lessons about holding things more lovingly in my heart, even when they are hard ones to hold.

gerbmom said...

Anne,
I'm so glad it all worked out. I wanted to comment earlier today, but I had a migraine and was having difficulty putting two thoughts together. Sounds like it was good Bill talked to Kelly instead of you, because it could have been an irrational conversation. Kelly can teach us all a lesson -- wise child you've raised!
xoxo

Anne said...

Karen,
So sorry that you had a migraine! Thanks so much for your thoughts. My brother did talk to me initially. I think he thought my feet were firmly planted and he could get my daughter to work on me instead. Obviously he had a change of heart, though, and probably no small credit goes to Kelly for that. Perhaps they will resign themselves to me having morphed into a little old church lady. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, the challenges of family-ness around Christmas time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the challenges of family-ness around Christmas time. this is April, by the way, not sure why it's not letting me say who I am.