11.6.06

My Oscar

Last night I was at our local Episcopal Cathedral for a "Mission: Possible" covert operation - an invitation that mysteriously arrived on CD to those who serve on ministry teams. It turned out to be a very creative recognition celebration for all those who serve on ministry teams. After eating some very decadent desserts, then a discussion led by Lee, and each team standing to a round of applause, Lee announced that there were some special awards to be given out.

Bob, an older gentleman who had just talked about how he believes in bringing his "first fruits" to the church in the way of money and service, was called up on stage to receive a bowl of fruit representing his belief in bringing first fruits, and Lee talked about how this man gives so much in various quiet ways. We gave him a standing ovation and right as I was about to sit down Lee said, "Anne, don't sit down. Come up here." I wasn't sure I heard him right. But when I went up, Lee presented me with the Beauty award and handed me a blank canvas. Then he talked about how much of my artwork I give to the church, and how, like the widow who gave all she had even though it didn't appear to be a lot to others, I gave of my talent to Threads and sacrificed time I could be using to earn extra money with my work. It almost brought me to tears.

And there always seems to be a back story, you know? Just yesterday I had checked my checking and saving accounts and found out I had a zero balance in each. The $60 or so I have in my wallet is all I have to my name - except for my emergency Pepsi bottle of coins that I've dipped into already recently. In the last few weeks I've been going down a different and new path that I felt God was leading me on in regard to freelance work and putting my energies into earning extra money. For the first time in two years my focus shifted from doing as much as I could for Threads, to feeling that I had to do more to bring some financial stability to my family. My heart is still there, and I have been working and networking with a group of work-at-home moms (and dads). Last night's recognition seemed to be God encouraging me not to feel that my whole focus has to be redirected, but that I need to find a balance between serving my church and earning a living. With all I'm trying to do, I could easily have narrowed my eyes to seeing life with tunnel vision, and severed too much from my view. May God guide me in balancing it all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Anne! Congratulations and glory to God for the way He blesses others through your incredible, beautiful hands! He even blesses me through those hands, and I live very far away from you. :)

Anne said...

April, that was so kind of you! Thanks so much for being the loving spirit you are, my friend.

Kevin J Bowman said...

Your art is such a blessing... I have loved all it I have seen, and I am sure your church family has been especially graced by your offering. I would LOVE to a have person of your talent around in our family.

May God bless your journey to balance

Anne said...

Kevin, thank you so, so much! You made my night with your kind and generous words.

Thanks as well for your Balance Blessing - that's very appreciated!