17.5.07

God at the Antique Kitchen


The people at the table near me were an odd couple - he a young, lean white guy and she a heavier set African American woman who seemed not quite with it mentally. I wondered if he was a caseworker of some sort. I wondered off and on while I read my book and ate lunch at the Antique Kitchen.


They talked about money a lot, though, in the context of, "How much is the cheeseburger special?" and "Look, it's only $4.50 for chicken strips". He encouraged her to spend some money on lunch, but she only wanted the cinnamon roll. Then she said she'd buy his meal but he said she didn't have to, and that he just didn't want to break his twenty. She said no, really, I just got a check and I'll get another check in a month. I didn't really know what the deal was. God seemed to nudge me to buy their meal, but then I thought maybe they really had plenty of money and this was just some kind of learning experience. But then I didn't think that was God's point. God was just giving me a chance to give, and to experience his love through serving someone.


When I was at the cash register and told Rhonda the waitress very quietly that I wanted to pay the other table's bill, she said, "I'm sorry that I couldn't come to the Family Film night at your church. My daughter got sick." I told her that was fine, I understood, and we'd have another one she could come to. And then I realized - Rhonda thought of Threads because she saw Christ flowing through me. Who knows - maybe God just wanted Rhonda to see a glimpse of him. Actually all I really know is that I drove away feeling filled with his Love, and knowing what a gift God had given me in such a simple thing like buying pancakes.

6 comments:

Darla said...

beautiful anne..... i love that you had that little talk with yourself, wondering if you should pay for the meal. i love that you went through that dialogue with God.... and i love that His answer was, YES, be generous and GIVE.... and through that, the waitress was able to see Him working - His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven.

what a wonderful way to follow the Way! :-)

loving you!!!

Anne said...

Darla, for a second I thought no, I shouldn't buy their meal, they probably have money. But that was my head speaking, not my heart, and in my heart is God. Loving you too!

Anonymous said...

Anne,

I just found your blog! That's a great story. I would like to be more sensitive to that still small voice.

Anne said...

Fred, how nice to see you pop in here! Thank you so much. Like you, I still need lots of practice listening to that still, small voice. How joyful when I do.

Shalene said...

Ann,
Have you ever heard of Paid4U.com? It's a site where they do nothing but encourage the love of God, and do not allow any advertising from outside, lest the message be lost. However, I thought of this organization when I read this post. The only difference would have been that you would have given a card to the waitress to give to the couple (without them knowing it was you- so it would have still been a random act of kindness) and perhaps given them a chance to see that Jesus too, "paid for" them. Anyway, just a thought. You can download the template for printing these at the site. You can choose color ones or black and white. Just thought I'd share with you. I love it when the Lord nudges us, and the great feeling we get when we listen! God bless you!

Anne said...

Shalene, thanks so much for telling me about paid4u.com. I didn't know it would be too preachy, and it's not at all - it's just inspiring and loving. Yea!