16.11.05

And the blessings fall...

1. First of all, a large, incredible thing - The Kalamazoo Promise. My son's school district is giving college scholarships to all students. ALL students. My son started there in 2nd grade which means he will have 95% of his tuition paid for four years of college. Amazing grace. The superintendent has been making the national news rounds - Good Morning America, The Today Show, CNN. It was so wonderful seeing the excitement and joy my son had when the announcement was made, and basking in it myself. College is attainable now, when it used to be a source of anxiety.

2. Carman was watching me pay an unexpected bill online last night, and knew it took all I had left in my checkbook. Oh heck, all I had left in the world, except for the $30 in my wallet. I had promised him some spending money for his upcoming birthday, and not only did he offer not to accept anything from me for his birthday, then he said he knew that he was getting some money from his dad and he wanted to share it with me. I refused both his offers with tears in my eyes. This man-child of mine has such a huge heart.

3. Kelly called me this morning for advice on which doctorate program she should enter - one she really likes, or one that would be very practical in guaranteeing a successful career. Then she started talking about how she loved sociology, and in her undergrad class she tried to explain her family dynamic - two parents both married two times, and divorced twice. Various and sundry stepbrothers, stepsister, and a half brother (but she never calls Carman her half brother, but just brother). In the midst of me feeling bad that she had such a crazy life she said, "People think how hard it must have been, but you always made our life so positive." An enormous gift for a mother who was wishing she could have given her daughter a more conventional unbringing.

My advice on the doctorate program: Follow your passion. Do what you love. Listen to your heart and you will soar beyond your expectations.

I think it was very good advice.

7 comments:

kingsjoy said...

Anne, I rejoice with you in all these blessings. Your kids sound terrific. As they say in Arkansas, "You done good!"

Anne said...

David, how kind of you to rejoice with me, and what a beautiful saying that is. I may have had a hand in molding who they are, but I think God had a bigger hand in it!

Anonymous said...

Ah Anne, your last paragraph!
Such great advice and so simple. Not only that - it brings you together. That is worth more than all the worldly riches.
Love FD
(just passing through)

Anonymous said...

Anne, as I was reading this post, I thought of my own mother. Your story and hers are so similar...I need to get you two connected somehow. Maybe I'll send her to your blog (of course, it's already featured on my blog)....

Anne said...

April, I'd love to meet your mom! Maybe you should talk to her about blogging. :) I'm so glad you stopped by, and that I can easily reach you now by my new link!

Anne said...

FD, thanks for just passing through and leaving such encouraging words! My relationship with my children has made me very rich indeed. I'm so fortunate to be their mother!

Anne said...

Linda, thank you so much for encouraging me to keep on rambling about things. Really, what a lovely gift your post was. Please let me know if you get back to blogging again yourself!