30.11.05

Great Scott

I was hanging out in the sanctuary tonight while Carman was at Essence, his youth group. Suddenly Scott came in, walked right up to me and gave me a hug, which totally surprised me. And delighted me. He told me that he'd been reading my blog, and I got confused. I'm not used to people I know in real life reading my blog! How funny is that...

Scott had read one of my postings about hugs, and how much I appreciate the ones I get at church because sometimes when you're single you go without much physical contact from people. Scott said it was kind of a lightbulb moment for him, and how he realized why his widowed mother doesn't let go for a long time when he wraps her in an embrace.

Scott, if you're reading this, know that I was so touched by your kindness. I have been so humbled by the extraordinary loving kindness shown by people in my church. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by seeing the extraordinary in people who are living their lives walking with Christ. But I am deeply appreciative to be in their company.

7 comments:

gerbmom said...

Ya know Anne,
I had a similar experience over the weekend - not the same motivation, but it caught me off guard. We were in Michigan City with all of Kim's family, and we were joking around as we were waiting to eat. I said something to my nephew (Scott!), I don't even remember what it was, and he came over and gave me a BIG hug. I was shocked. We are not a huggy family. And he has had some pain in his life over the past year, and is kind of at loose ends. It did my heart good to see him reach out, and it felt so good to hug him even if he initiated it, and let him know I care and I'll always be there for him - for hugs or otherwise. :)
xoxox

kingsjoy said...

Anne, sending you an e-hug ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know it's not the same, but it's real. You're a special lady. I'm going to hug some extra people today in your honor!

Kevin J Bowman said...

In light of "real people" reading your blog... I had one of the elders of my church come up to me a few months back and tell me he had been reading my blog and my first thought was "Oh &%$@"
Actually he said he was challenged and amused both.... Talk about a sweating it out moment.

I too am sending out a virtual hug :-)

Darla said...

okay... an e-hug just won't do for me... i mean, of course i send you one, but i won't settle for that... we WILL meet one day soon, i'm sure of it! :0 until then, i'm glad you have people in your church family that hug you!

Anne said...

Karen,
How nice that you received a big hug as well; especially when this kind of goes against usual family behavior. I'm sure it did your heart good...I think hugs always do, don't you?!

Anne said...

Kingsjoy & Kevin,
Awwwww. Thank you SO much. You're the best, you know. And I really mean that.

Kevin, I laughed reading about your reaction to a RL person reading your blog. I'm glad he found it challenging and not threatening!

Anne said...

Darla. Zoo Sister. We must meet and hug in person one day. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale in late March for a week. I just wish your fair state wasn't so darn looooong. I miss you - let's talk soon!