5.2.06

The Gloom is but a Shadow

I don't let it sneak up on me like it used to, thankfully. Despair still comes quietly, one soft footstep at a time, one slow, seemingly innocent drip...that is followed by another. I am so weak-willed. Drip. I hate driving in this snow. Drip. I have no self-discipline. Drip. My life is so - fill_in_the_blank_with_something_negative. Depression used to paralyze me until I realized that movement alone thwarted some of the depression. Go clean the bathroom. Rest. All right, go wash the dishes. Rest. Now pick up the phone and call someone. Rest. And moment by moment despair would subside, and slowly slink away.

This morning despair came creeping up, and though I hadn't seen it in awhile, we're still well acquainted enough that I haven't forgotten its face. Do the dishes. As I stood there, my first thought was just how many dishes always seemed to need washing, and then I lamented the fact that in my adult life I've rarely had a dishwasher, and envied those who had. And then I remembered. I have a window. I used to wash dishes in an apartment with no kitchen window. I looked outside while scrubbing a plate, and saw the trees out the windowpane. Lucky me, I live on a treeline separating my mobile home park from the church behind me. Others can only look at other mobile homes. But I get to look at trees! Glorious, wonderful trees, branches bending under the winter's wind, snow curling on the ground below, a hint of light under a pewter sky, and twig's dancing in the breeze.

Radical gratitude. Life changing, life bringing.

Take peace! The gloom of the world is but a shadow. Behind it, yet within our reach, is joy. There is radiance and glory in darkness, could we but see. And to see, we have only to look. I beseech you to look!
~Fra Giovanni Giocondo

14 comments:

Darla said...

i love you, anne. thank you for cheering my saturday up... i love talking to you. i love that God brought us together. thank you for sharing your heart with us all. BIG HUG FROM ME!!!! you are amazing.

Anne said...

Darla, I love you too! I was blathering on and on about you to my daughter this morning during one of our daily predawn phone calls. I'm so glad that God brought us together too...glad enough that I would even consider going to Florida in June - you have any idea how nuts that would sound to Michiganders? And a huge hug back to you, sweetheart.

kingsjoy said...

I hope that means you will be there when Melissa and I are there?!

Anne said...

Oh, I'm hoping so, Kingsjoy. You know in the last 25 years or so I've only been to Florida. (Can't count Indiana, because it's right next door.) First my parents lived there for almost 20 years and now my kids, and now I have all you special God friends to meet! One day I'll have to see what another state looks like. :)

gerbmom said...

You could always come to Illinois! ;)

kingsjoy said...

Or Arkansas!

Anne said...

Thanks guys! I think I should travel to both Illinois AND Arkansas. I'll probably hitchhike, since I hate driving. :)

Kevin J Bowman said...

Illinois ain't all that exciting... Not that Arkansas seems like a better offer (Sorry David)... But if you do come visit Gerbmom... We'll do coffee... Roselle is only 15 minutes from Winfield!

gerbmom said...

Yeah Anne,
When you come visit me we can all get together for dinner! Mike and Julie too. That would be cool! Bring Carman - He could hang with Chris!

So, enough day dreaming. I'll probably be back to Michigan before you make it down here! I really wanna come up some weekend and go to Rob Bell's church. I put the bug in Dana's ear. We'll see what happens! :)

Anne said...

Geez! There's a lot of reason to come to Illinois, isn't there! But Karen, I'd love to have you and Dana come to Michigan...of course I'd love for you to come to Threads too. Drat. Come in the springtime and do a morning @ Threads and the evening service @ Mars Hill. I just told my gay friend that I'd go to Mars Hill with him someday....once the snow's gone, and daylight savings is back. :)

gerbmom said...

Oh yeah - I wanna go to Threads too of course. But we already talked about that before - so I just didn't mention it again. I wish there was an easy way around Chicago. That's why I gotta bring Dana - she drives to Michigan all the time....:D Maybe this summer?

mdwinn said...

Wow, drip, drip...perfect illustration. With words you have captured the nagging thing creaping around the edges of my soul. I am stunned right now of how I have slipped into the pattern you described...make the bed, rest... vaccum the den, rest... mostly wanting just to rest. I know I am still breathing, it jsut seems like it takes so much effort. You are not alone! May the Spirit of the One who creates all things finds us soon and lift us up out of the miry pit.

Anne said...

Karen, yes, of course! Bring Dana!

Anne said...

Michael, selfishly it brings me comfort to know that others struggle with this too. I'll pray that both of us are raised up by Spirit in a glorious, swaddling embrace of peace.