14.2.06

Valentine's Day Blessings


Michael called me in the afternoon, which through me a bit, because he never calls me in the afternoon. He asked what I did at lunch time, and I told him about my trip to Barnes and Noble to buy my son a book for Valentine's Day, and another book for a little friend of mine who turned one-year-old today. One of his girls has a birthday today too, so we talked about how he was buying Valentines for all the girls in his family. And then it dawned on me. "Are you calling me because it's Valentine's Day?" He said yes, but that he hadn't bought me anything. I said I hadn't gotten him anything either. But I was so surprised and so touched that this special friend of mine would call me for Valentine's Day. What a gift. What a blessing. Radical gratitude for a loving phone call.

Near the end of the day I was talking to Carman on the phone. He wished me a Happy Valentine's Day and said that he'd do the dishes as a gift for me. (I didn't mention, of course, that he's supposed to do them anyway, but just thanked him.) A few minutes later I turned around in my little cubicle when I heard a noise, and there was my 16-year-old standing there with a beautiful long-stemmed rose in hand. He said he didn't just want to write me a poem this year, he wanted to buy me something. What an incredible blessing he is to his mother!

I drove home under sunny skies and mild weather, with a hint of springtime in the air, a rose tucked next to me in the passenger seat, and tears of joy and thankfulness. I am so lucky to see God's love in so many places - how can my heart not be pierced with humble gratefulness for all I have.

2 comments:

Darla said...

awwww.. how sweet of your son... i can't wait until my daughters can do stuff like that. what did you get him?? did you buy him that new donald miller book? oh, i hope it's good. you'll have to let me know. love you anne!!

Anne said...

Darla, I forgot I wanted to buy the new Donald Miller book! Drat. And it's not in my budget now until some freelance money comes my way. I knew there was something...I bought Carman the new Stephen King book. He's a Dark Tower fan and he was excited that King came out with something new. It's sounds very creepy. All I know is that Carman said that if people started turning into zombies because of their cell phones that we have to go to Dick and Mary's house because they have lots of guns. (Okaaay honey.) It was so sweet of him - not that usual for boys to think of such things - you have a much better chance of being spoiled with three daughters! :)