3.1.06

Dear Lord, I want to have the heart of heaven

We are most like the Holy One when we really care about each other. In a consumerist, materialistic culture, it’s teasingly seductive to be more concerned about oneself than about others. But we do so at our own peril. At the center of our being lies our heart—that place that was created for caring.

When we are overly fascinated with ourselves, our heart is diminished, our compassion is stunted, our interaction with the whole of human existence is lessened. When we cast our glance away from self and etch the lives of others on our heart, our heart expands. We come to understand ourselves better. We find that our thoughts, feelings, hopes, and dreams deepen until they are as textured and rich as the thick wool of an oriental carpet.

Consider what it might mean in your life if you began to etch others on your heart. Instead of praying episodically, you would keep your heart always open to heaven, silently asking God to read the carvings you had scratched there.

O God, when I am pre-occupied with myself, wake me up and give me the heart of heaven.

~Renee Miller
www.explorefaith.org

6 comments:

Kevin J Bowman said...

I absolutely LOVE that second paragragh. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anne said...

She writes so beautifully. I love that paragraph too, Kevin.

kingsjoy said...

"Consider what it might mean in your life if you began to etch others on your heart." I love that--etch.

Here's how it's adding up for me:

* God wants access to our hearts (and we NEED him to have it).
* We follow Him, watch Him, like the disciples following the Rabbi. In this we become more like Him.
* We etch others on our hearts.

Darla said...

I LOVE YOU ANNE!!! thanks for being my friend! God heard my prayers!!

Anne said...

Kingsjoy, I like what you said about watching and following him. So often we think that we must set aside time for prayer, and this reflection reminds me that all I have to do is hold people lovingly, etchingly in my heart as prayer. How nice to think that compassionate and kind thoughts while I have my morning coffee can waft up to God as prayers with the steam from my cup.

Anne said...

Darla, just seconds before I came here and saw your posting, I was thinking how much I love you! You are a daughter of my heart, I think...and here your heart was speaking similar things. I am so overjoyed that God heard my prayers. I so see Christ in you, my friend.