12.1.06

Weaving Threads

Church People - Today lunch with Dan to talk business as he's just left his lucrative position in digital art in Chicago to make a go of things at home here in Michigan. Saturday night I'll be having dinner with him and his wife - Dan's an ex heroin addict, his wife's an ex felon and recovering alcoholic. B. called me and asked me to meet him for coffee tonight. We will probably talk about God and Christ and the Holy Spirit and his new marriage, and maybe the struggles he and his wife have had leaving the dom/sub bondage scene. D. from my small group is over for a little bit right now hanging out with Carman. She's shaved her head, and has a new tattoo of her daughter's handprint on her shoulder.

When I have dinner Saturday night with Dan and his wife, Kerri said she's looking forward to hearing my story. In another church there is so much of my story I probably wouldn't tell. But in this place, with these people, what story couldn't I tell? Jesus embraced the misfits, sat down and ate lasagna with the riffraff. So many of us plunged screamingly into life with wild abandon, and found something missing until we plunged headlong into life in Christ. May his Spirit grow larger and more present in my life, but may I always have the heart of a misfit.

4 comments:

Darla said...

yes, Jesus loved the misfits and riff-raff... sounds like you're right where He would be!!

"Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew's house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus' followers. "What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riff-raff?"

Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: "I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

you're awesome, anne. i luv ya!!

Anne said...

Darla, I love that Message version. "Jesus loves the riff-raff". I really think I need to design a shirt with that on it! Thanks so much for your encouraging words. The man I had coffee with last night is a dozen years younger than I, but we both know that some people would consider it not proper for us to meet alone, even in public. We decided that it's a good thing we weren't brought up in church because we can be blissfully ignorant about following The List of Rules, and simply enjoy the fact that we're such good friends. Your positive response is quite heartening!

Kevin J Bowman said...

I need a community like the one you've found. Thanks for the inspiration that they are out there!

Anne said...

Kevin, we are a mish mash of folk, and there are some that are very conservative Christians. At least I've seen some....I kind of am drawn to my own kind, you know? Hangin' with the riff-raff. :) Thank God we have a pastor with a voice that echoes Christ - "I'm after mercy, not religion." You're welcome anytime!