7.1.06

Why the laundry doesn't get done


Early morning working on a logo for my son's girlfriend's 60's/garage sounding band. They were featured in a big spread in our local paper as one of the up and coming sounds around town. But they're logoless; such a crime to a graphic designer. It took me forever to get the lettering right - the right shade of grey, distortion arc, filters for chrome and silver just didn't work. Think elsewhere...don't look in the obvious places...try glass, try mirror, add lens flare, a touch of satin filtering, a light touch on the inner bevel....try exploring design like faith....open wider, wider, farther, deeper. Not to say I've created the ultimate garage band logo for Metal Teeth. Not to say that I've plunged the depths of faith yet that my heart desires. God and Rock n' Roll on a Saturday morning.

6 comments:

Ricky said...

Oh, yeah! Definitely a keeper!

Higher up and deeper in. Keep on truckin', Mama!

Anne said...

Ricky, thanks! Nice to have feedback! "Keep on truckin'Mama" (ha!)...I was picturing that image and couldn't remember the words...thinking Peter Max...the big mouth with the tongue hanging out. Good to have fellow Boomers around to remind me. "Higher up/deeper in" - sounds like a good goal for me for 2006.

Ricky said...

Yeah, Peter Max was the Yellow Submarine guy. Not sure if those were his lips.

Keep on truckin' was R Crumb's. Remember him? Zap comix? It's probably better if you don't remember - that whole scene doesn't exactly qualify as "higher up", so the less deep you went the better! :)

http://my.execpc.com/8A/DA/emercier/crumb/truckin.gif

http://my.execpc.com/8A/DA/emercier/crumb/natural.gif

Mr Natural says, "Get the right tool for the job!"

The odd things we remember...

Anne said...

No, I don't think the lips were by Peter Max. The Hendrix Experience poster....Ah. Mr. Natural. Zap comix. Suddenly I'm remembering or hallucinating Fritz the Cat? You have an astounding memory, but I'm not surprised.

Christine Boles said...

You know what got me? YALE doesn't seem to have a logo!!
I guess they're above all that crass marketing....

Anne said...

Christine, really? Yale doesn't have a logo? Funny you mentioning that - my daughter just applied to Harvard. I'll have to check out other Ivy League schools!